Yesterday was a unique adventure a year in waiting.
Last year I signed up for a special group hike on the one day I was available, but unfortunately it was canceled due to weather, so I missed out. This year I signed up again with Hummingbird (one benefit to the wait), and after a few forecast scares, the weather cooperated and the group hike thankfully proceeded.
The tricky part — and the reason for our long wait — is that you can only get to this hiking trail via boat.
Lakes Region Conservation Trust manages a large, conserved section of Rattlesnake Island, an iconic feature in Lake Winnipesaukee. Access to the dock and hiking trail is restricted to LRCT members & guests or official group hike participants. The dock is only open limited hours/days during the summer. (Although they did mention the trail being accessible in winter via snowmobile across the frozen lake, so we may have to look into that option further!)
It was a semi-early start to meet the group and our guides in Alton Bay, where we’d be departing from the private dock of an LRCT volunteer. Early is always a physical struggle for me (and oversleeping after another bout of insomnia didn’t help), but I made it work (mostly). Expecting a short and relatively easy hike simplified preparing.
Although it was a bit hikier of a hike than I expected! At 2.2 mi and 600 ft of elevation gain, it’s no Mt. Major, but the trail is definitely hikey, complete with a few little rock scramble spots. It’s a nice trail altogether, with pleasantly varied terrain and several lovely viewpoints.
Truly the beauty began before we even boated off towards the island. Lake Winnipesaukee has excellent views of the surrounding mountain ranges, and as we neared Rattlesnake, we could admire the Belknap peaks rising behind us, as well as our normal view across the lake of the Ossipee, Squam, and Sandwich ranges and beyond. Even Mt. Washington is visible on a clear day.
Rattlesnake Island is technically part of the Belknap Range and is the highest point in the lake. The mountains are a volcanic ring dike formation, much like the Ossipees (though perhaps less famous for it). The Belknaps appear more as a rough half circle with a tail (Piper/Whiteface spur), but Rattlesnake is a remaining section of the other half of the ring, which now exists in the glacial lake.
After docking, the group slowly made our way up the trail, taking several breaks along the way. Our guides shared interesting facts about the island, region, and other tidbits about nature while we soaked in the plentiful views.
The sun was intense, so I think we were all grateful for many shaded portions of trail and a frequent, gorgeous breeze. My stomach got upset and my energy wavered at one point between the strain of summer hiking and too early of a start (see this is why I need time in the morning!), but I had more than enough recovery time on the summit, where we took an extended break. While I lost any momentum and poor Hummingbird fought to keep her bad knee from locking up, I really enjoyed sitting on a rock with the comforting wind in my face and peaceful nature all around. I could have meditated up there longer, but alas, we had to return eventually.
Overall the hike was good and we were excited for the opportunity to finally explore the island. The boat ride to and fro had me reminiscing about riding around Smith Mountain Lake in VA with Hawk's family. I have to say, it’s very pretty there, but it’s got nothing on our Big Lake. 💙
| pano from the LRCT dock |
| a viewpoint |
| another viewpoint |
| the Mount Washington cruise returns to Alton Bay |
| Rattlesnake Island summit |
More pics & reels on my socials!
Random fun fact: the movie What About Bob was set at Lake Winnipesaukee, but was filmed at Smith Mountain Lake! This funny coincidence brought to you by Hawk's perpetually coincidental life. 😂
No comments:
Post a Comment